Activities to do during lockdown
For the latest guidance on being active during the current lockdown please click here
There's lots of home activities you can try out. You may need to get yourself a fitness mat for your comfort if you’re doing floor activities but there are plenty of free online activities to access.
Are activities at home right for me?
If you’re keen on getting fitter, being active in the comfort of your own home can be really beneficial and there are plenty of activities you could try to keep yourself fit and healthy.
The great thing about doing activities at home is that you’re in complete control, it’s private and it’s somewhere that you feel comfortable. You can choose what you want to do at home, so make sure you choose something that suits your needs.
It’s good to be mindful of how strenuous the activities you decide to try are, especially if you haven’t been active in a while. To be extra safe, be sure to do a warm up before you start to prepare your body and remember to stretch out afterwards.
Before you start
Make sure you're feeling well before you start being more active. If you're not sure, check out the NHS guidance before you start.
How do I get started?
All of the activity resources listed here are free - you shouldn’t need to pay membership fees but please be aware that some online instructors will ask you to pay subscription fees, which is your choice to do or not.
If you’ve not been active in a while it’s a good idea to ease yourself into any activities you want to try, even at home.
If you're just getting started being more active or you're not very upwardly mobile, start with some of the suggestions below.
- Healthiness Liverpool will take you through a gentle workout on Twitter @LivHealthiness or Facebook @Healthiness Ltd
- Mamafit Online Sessions
- Mindful People Community: Mindful Yoga
- 10today.co.uk offers short workouts or follow the Life Rooms 10-minute workouts
- Video - exercise at home for the over-50s
- NHS seated exercise routine for older people and those with limited mobility
- NHS strength exercises
- NHS balance exercises
- NHS flexibility exercises
- Read about the benefits of gardening
- Liverpool Lighthouse Virtual Activities
You can also move around the garden, have a boogie in your living room or march up and down the stairs for 10 minutes.
Been active for while?
If you’ve been active for a while and feel more mobile, try these.
- Sport England's Stay in Workout is full of ideas
- This Girl Can home exercise guide
- Online workouts on Facebook @LifestylesFitnessCentres
- Liverpool-based performing arts school Movema on Facebook @Movema
- NHS Gym-free workouts
- NHS yoga workout
- NHS ten-minute cardio and toning workouts
- NHS Fitness Studio activities
Want to be active outdoors?
Following current guidelines you can still be active in one of Liverpool’s beautiful parks and open spaces.
To find a park local to you click here.