Activities to try
For the latest government guidance on being active click here
What activities are right for me?
If you’re keen on getting fitter, being active in the comfort of your own home or outdoors can be really beneficial and there are plenty of activities you could try to keep yourself fit and healthy.
It’s good to be mindful of how strenuous the activities you decide to try are, especially if you haven’t been active in a while. To be extra safe, be sure to do a warm up before you start to prepare your body and remember to stretch out afterwards.
Before you start
Make sure you're feeling well before you start being more active. If you're not sure, check out the NHS guidance before you start.
How do I get started?
All of the activity resources listed here are free - you shouldn’t need to pay membership fees but please be aware that some online instructors will ask you to pay subscription fees, which is your choice to do or not.
If you’ve not been active in a while it’s a good idea to ease yourself into any activities you want to try, even at home.
If you're just getting started being more active or you're not very upwardly mobile, start with some of the suggestions below.
Home Based Activities
- Arthritis Action - Chair Based Exercises
- 10today.co.uk offers short workouts
- Make Your Move Activities
- NHS seated exercise routine for older people and those with limited mobility
- NHS strength exercises
- NHS balance exercises
- NHS flexibility exercises
- NHS Gym-free workouts
- NHS yoga workout
- NHS ten-minute cardio and toning workouts
- NHS Fitness Studio activities
- The Life Rooms - Fit Camp
- This Girl Can home exercise guide
- Video - exercise at home for the over-50s
- Active Women Running Club (South Liverpool)
- Aigburth Community Cycle Club (December)
- Bowl For Health
- Bowl For Health **New Session**
- Croxteth Get Going Run Group
- Daisy Inclusive UK - Activities For Disabled People
- Dockside Runners
- Get Going! Running, walking and cycling routes and groups in Liverpool Parks - call 0151 233 6366 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- England Netball
- Healthiness 50+ activity sessions
- Health Walk at Newsham Park
- Lifestyles Fitness Centres Online low/medium/high intense workouts
- Lifestyles Fitness Centres
- Liverpool-based performing arts school Movema on Facebook @Movema
Liverpool Frontrunners First Steps Running Group - Wednesday 6.30pm. Meeting by car park at the end of Greenbank Lane.
- Liverpool Irish Rovers Running Club
- Liverpool Irish Centre - Various sessions
- Liverpool Super 1s Disability Cricket (27th Sept start)
- Liverpool Walking and Wellness Group
Mamafit - Health, fitness & wellbeing programme for pregnant women and mums. FREE classes available.
- Netball Walking Netball Sessions
- Netball Back To Netball Sessions
Porchfield Community Centre - Mondays 3-4pm Yoga; Fridays 1-3pm Line Dancing; Porchfeld Community Centre, Porchfield Close, Croxteth, L11 9DT. Please contact 0151 547 email@example.com for more details.
- This Girl Can Waterfront Running Group - For details click here
- The Vibe - Activities for adults (16+) with additional needs - Mondays 4-5pm Football @ Wavertree Playground, Zumba at The Vagabonds. Thursday Ellergreen Lifestyles 6.15-7.15pm swimming, Friday Tennis at The Vagabonds 1.30-2.30pm. For more details please contact Kath firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tennis sessions (Sefton Park) - now underway on Thursdays at 10am! There is coaching followed by social play. You can also stay for a coffee in the café after the session. For more information please contact David Tenniscollege@aol.com.
- Wheels For All - Inclusive Cycling Sessions
Woolton Wood Walk - Tuesday's 1.30pm, meet at the bus stop on High Street
- Yoga For All - Sessions